Wednesday, June 13, 2007

mailboxes

Now that I live in an apartment building, my mailbox rarely crosses my mind. It's there, sometimes it has mail ... but I grew up in a small town, and this article about Veeder's Mailboxes and their vandal-resistant properties strikes a chord.

Highlight:

"When he used to hawk his mailboxes at home shows, Magro [Veeder] was often approached by vandalism suffers who would launch into vivid descriptions of their dream mailboxes. He says, "People would take out pencil and paper and draw World War Two tank traps" - devices that would impale the chassis of a car on a hidden steel beam were someone to try to ram the mailbox. "Others wanted to know if I'd make them a mailbox with concertina wire around it." Magro declined such requests, pointing out that liability issues would likely arise were someone to build a mailbox system the intent of which was to maim or kill. "

No comments: